This Spanish classic is simple to prepare and easily doubled to serve a crowd. Artichokes, bell peppers, mushrooms and olives cooked with nutty brown rice make this a hearty one-dish meal. The blend of exotic spices including saffron and tumeric give an extra special flavor.
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups (1-inch) chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups uncooked quick-cooking brown rice
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed, or ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
PreparationHeat olive oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in rice and next 4 ingredients (through thyme); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in tomato, green peas, olives, 2 tablespoons parsley, black pepper, and artichoke hearts. Cook 3 minutes or until rice is tender and mixture is thoroughly heated. Garnish with additional chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- 350 (23% from fat)
- 8.9g (sat 1g,mono 5.1g,poly 0.9g)